Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 was the top selling console in North America in 2011.
• Xbox 360 has sold more than 66 million consoles, with nearly 40 million Xbox LIVE members around the world.
– Kinect has sold more than 18 million sensors around the world.
– Xbox 360 with Kinect was the must-have gift this holiday season, selling almost 800,000 Xbox 360 consoles on Black Friday alone.
Transforming TV through the power of Kinect
• Microsoft showcased how Kinect and leading TV and entertainment providers deliver extraordinary experiences on Xbox 360 globally.
• More TV is coming to Xbox LIVE; in December, Verizon FiOS TV launched on Xbox with 26 live TV channels, with more to come. And soon Comcast customers will be able to log on to Xbox LIVE and experience Xfinity On Demand’s huge library of top shows and movies. With more than 50 active and announced partnerships worldwide, more live TV and on-demand TV will be lighting up Xbox 360 consoles around the globe this year.
• A new partnership with News Corporation will soon bring FOX broadcast programming, The Wall Street Journal, Fox News Channel and IGN to the Xbox LIVE service. The new Xbox LIVE FOX app will feature your favorite FOX shows, including Family Guy, House, New Girl, Bones, Fringe, The Simpsons and Glee, all on-demand. All of the News Corp apps are scheduled to launch on the LIVE service in 2012.
• Xbox 360 owners are excited about this new, fun, and interactive way to enjoy their favorite content
• The hours of video consumed globally on Xbox LIVE increased 140 percent from 2010 to 2011.
o In December more than 60 percent of U.S. Xbox LIVE Gold members used entertainment apps on Xbox LIVE – for an average of an hour a day each.
o The number of people using entertainment apps on Xbox LIVE increased by nearly 50 percent globally from November to December.
• We are going to make TV more social and personal; from watching to engaging, from passive to active.
• In close collaboration with trusted brands such as Sesame Workshop and National Geographic, Kinect for Xbox 360 is delivering a new kind of interactive learning experience that places children inside their favorite television shows and storybooks and allows them to engage, interact and learn in entirely new ways.
Not just fun and games; the ‘Kinect Effect’ inspires new industries worldwide
• Just like Kinect for Xbox 360 is helping to reinvent games and entertainment, companies around the globe are exploring how Kinect for Windows will help them to re-invent their industries.
• Microsoft announced the Kinect for Windows commercial program launching Feb. 1, 2012. Through the commercial program, Kinect will reach far beyond entertainment to revolutionize education, healthcare, manufacturing, science, and more.
• Microsoft is already working with more than 200 innovation leaders including United Health Group, American Express, Mattel, Telefonica, and Toyota to utilize Kinect in revolutionary new ways.