Kerberos Productions, the makers of the Sword of the Stars series of 4X strategy titles, have today released their first science fiction role-playing game for PC. Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a fun, fast, light-hearted RPG in the tradition of Rogue and other old school dungeon-diving games. Set in the popular Sword of the Stars universe, the game offers a rich science fiction backdrop and sharp, modern gameplay. The game’s turn-based mechanics and playful art style are suitable to a wide audience.
The Pit is the first independent title to be published by Kerberos. The studio launched its first crowd-funding campaign in October 2012. Hundreds of players stepped forward to support the team and to participate in the game’s Exclusive Beta period, which ran December of 2012 until mid-February of 2013. The result of all the hard work and player support is a highly addictive romp through 30 levels of science fiction mayhem.
Sword of the Stars: The Pit is available initially on Gamer’s Gate for $9.99. Kerberos and GamersGate are celebrating the game’s launch with a 10% off sale for the first week of release. A playable demo offering six of the full game’s 30 levels is also available for download (link).
- 3 Characters to choose from… Marine, Scout and Engineer.
- 4 Levels of Difficult, from Easy to Insane.
- Improve your character and increase your skills as you try and find a way to survive the depths.
- 30 Levels of ancient evil science between you and the cure!
- Dozens and dozens of enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe.
- Over 50 weapons and armors with a variety of special effects including flamethrowers, rocket launchers, plasma cannons and powered Brawler armor.
- Randomized augmentation effects (for your equipment… and for you!) make each game unique.
- Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.
- Over 100 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to ancient exotic tech.
- Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help – or maybe hinder – your progress.
- Discover and decipher hidden messages, crafting recipes, and pieces of Sword of the Stars lore.
- Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation and of course… MONSTERS.