Mode 7 has released the beta of Frozen Endzone onto Steam Early Access. Frozen Endzone, or more affectionately referred to as “Frendzone”, is a simultaneous-turn-based tactical game set around a brutal futuristic sport played by robots. It is estimated to release in later 2014, but no specifics as to when within that time.
Next up for the team is working on the single player campaign mode, which will take place in a richly simulated league. You’ll be able to build up your team, interact with rival coaches, track your players’ behavior on and off the pitch and generally experience life at the cutting edge of future-sports.
“I am so excited about this release I just had to quote myself saying how I excited I am!” gibbered Joint Managing Director Paul Taylor, at some point between 4:32 and 4:34 AM last night before returning to his nutrient-rich aqueous medium.
Gameplay updates and changes for the Early Access version:
- Players can now have stats: strength, resilience, “burst” (a small burst of acceleration when getting the ball), evade, intercept radius, block radius
- “Handball” (now called “Full Match”) game mode enters beta. This has been totally revamped to accommodate stats and is now the main game mode. Lots of turnovers, interceptions, end-to-end action, and new points zones make this really exciting and strategic.
- Team Editor allows you to name your players and set their stats; upload your team to the server and use it in multiplayer or skirmish with it offline
- Completely revamped, much more intelligent AI and a selection of new AI skirmishes
- Easy-to-use tile-based Pitch Editor (alpha)
- Custom Game Mode creator (alpha)
- Commentary system (alpha): commentary makes use of player names; in single player, the AI calculations are also used to allow the commentators to analyse your play-style; in multiplayer, the commentators will discuss your previous history with your opponent
- Some brand new animations and some big improvements to camera code
- There is now in-game audio to go with the music!
Frozen Endzone can be purchased for $24.99 on Steam through Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/237350/blog comments powered by Disqus