From Press Release:
Orange County, California – March 29th – NEXT Studios is pleased to announce that their audio drama-inspired detective game Unheard is now available on Steam. The narratively driven puzzle game will take players on an audiocentric journey to uncover crimes of the past.
In Unheard, players will follow a detective who relies solely on the sense of sound to solve crimes. Players will eavesdrop on conversations of past crimes and piece together evidence to build their cases as they follow an array of characters. Free to experience the story as they wish, players will be able to travel back and forth through time to witness events and conversations between characters in a non-linear fashion.
Uniquely presented and inspired by classic radio dramas, Unheard combines the exploration mechanics of modern games with the narrative theater of old. As players unfold the story in Unheard, they will discover the identities, moves, and motives of a cast of characters entirely through sound. What may seem to be completely unrelated events and characters, will unfurl into a broader and interwoven narrative for players to discern.
A full list of features include:
- Open-Ended Narrative Mystery Game: Multiple events, different suspects and characters, all happening at the same time. Players must piece together evidence, clues and experience events in a non-linear fashion. Control time and go back and forth to experiences different events and uncover the truth.
- A Unique Case-Solving Experience: Step through time as you use our device to eavesdrop on conversations from past crime scenes. Every clue, every move, and every motive will be presented in the form of audio. Rather than controlling any one character, you only need listen to their conversations, following along as the story evolves. Use the information you hear to match names to voices and determine how everything (and everyone) is related. Can you discover the truth?
- Immersive Theater: All characters in Unheard have their own storylines; however, each of these storylines will become interwoven in the same space, and at the same time, resulting in complicated cases that force you to meticulously search for and track clues. You can choose to follow one character or move around between multiple characters. You can also replay the audio as many times as you want until you reach a conclusion.
- Detective Fiction In Unheard, all the clues in a case will be presented to players. There’s no hidden information, nor rooms that require a key to enter. Players will be privy to the same information as everyone present at the crime scenes.
- Radio Drama: Unheard is, in a way, an interactive radio drama. By combining aural narrative techniques with the type of exploration elements present in video games, Unheard offers a brand-new, non-linear radio drama experience.