On the brink of the release of Age of Wonders III, Triumph Studios, the team behind the Overlord and Age of Wonders series, today reveals the WARLORD leader class. Age of Wonders III is now available for Pre-Order on Steam and GoG, and has a worldwide release date of March 31st on digital platforms and European retail on PC.
“A Warlord once told me that a nation at peace was a nation breeding cowards to be enslaved. Warlords rule by the Law of the Sword, establishing a chain of command based on battlefield glory and duels to the death. Their armies consist of highly specialized, mobile troops and powerful beasts trained to do their bidding. Warlords are master tacticians, and often legendary warriors unto themselves. Though they tend to trust the power of their hardened armies over supernatural forces, Warlords have mastered arcane skills that strengthen their armies. They instill mythical courage in their own troops, while striking terror in the hearts of their foes.. ” –“Gifted Lords of the Third Age” by Ralinstone Pedant, Chronicler
Age of Wonders III introduces RPG-style class-based character building to the strategy genre. The leader persona of the players, consisting of a main class, race, and specializations, forms the heart of their realm. RPG style skills are extrapolated to affect a whole empire. Leader characters range from Elven Princesses and to Machiavellian Rogues and ruthless Warlords.
Examples of Warlord Class Units include:
- Mounted Archer – This unique cavalry unit can shoot arrows with deadly aim whilst mounted. The Mount type depends on the race where the archer is produced.
- Monster Hunter: Wielding both a greatsword and crossbow, this special operations unit is skilled in killing a great number of monster types. Take them on your treasure hunting missions!
- Warbreed – The result of a terrifying cross-breeding program, these Warbreed combine the best traits from Hulking Ogres and the race from the city the Warbreed is produced in.
- Manticore Rider – The ultimate airborne cavalry.
Warlord Skill Examples:
- Killing Spree – Target friendly unit gains additional movement and action points upon killing an enemy unit in combat.
- Steadfast Ward – Steadfast prevents a unit’s health from dropping below 1 hitpoint for a limited amount of time.
- Conqueror’s Feast – The ‘Enemy in domain’ and ‘Enemy at the gates’ morale penalties are twice as effective against the caster’s enemies. In addition, the caster’s units require less upkeep cost outside of their Empire’s domain.
- Relentless Army – Bestows all friendly units with Tireless. Tireless units don’t spend action points for attacks of opportunity or retaliation.
- Global Assault – All your units gain Charge, First Strike, and are promoted to the gold medal rank. All units produced in your cities gain gold medals as well.
The Warlord Class can be mixed with any of the six races and can be further augmented using specializations leading to additional magical skills.