Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth is Now Available for Interstellar World Domination
2K and Firaxis Games today announced the award-winning* Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth is available now worldwide for Windows PC. In Civilization: Beyond Earth players lead an expedition from Earth to a new frontier, enabling them to explore and successfully colonize an alien planet. The game’s storyline ventures into uncharted territory for the franchise as the game propels the evolution of human civilization into the future. Civilization: Beyond Earth will also be available for players on Mac and Linux by Aspyr Media this holiday season.
“Civilization: Beyond Earth is a new science-fiction themed entry to the critically-acclaimed Civilization series,” said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. “Civilization: Beyond Earth showcases Firaxis Games’ commitment to creating high quality strategy games, and challenges players to colonize an alien planet through an intellectually challenging and visually appealing gaming experience.”
“Unlike its predecessors, players are no longer bound by historical context in Civilization: Beyond Earth,” said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. “The game challenges players to make interesting and fun decisions bringing together future science, technologies and ideologies as you explore mankind’s future on an alien planet.”
In Civilization: Beyond Earth players lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and philosophies, while simultaneously advancing their own leaders, cities and units to reflect their personal choices and style of play. Through an array of new gameplay systems, including nonlinear technological progression and a new virtues tree, there are countless opportunities for players to change the very identity of their faction and the world around them.
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
- Seed the Adventure: Players establish a cultural identity, select a leader, and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet;
- Alien World: Players will explore the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, valuable resources and hostile life forms unlike those of Earth, build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people;
- New Technology Web: Players will see technology advancement occur through a series of nonlinear choices affecting mankind’s development. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition;
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet and help guide players through a series of side missions, each aiding in the collection of resources, upgrading units and advancing through the game;
- New Orbital Layer: Players build and deploy three types of advanced satellites – military, economic and scientific – that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
Civilization: Beyond Earth is rated Everyone 10+ by the ESRB and is available now worldwide on Windows PC for $49.99. The game will be launching on Mac and Linux via Aspyr Media this holiday season.