Graduating from Steam Early Access, Bohemia Interactive is proud to announce the official release of their new game for Windows PC, Take On Mars. The special milestone is celebrated with a launch trailer, highlighting the many ‘benefits’ of playing Take On Mars over alternative options of space exploration.
Take On Mars places you right in the middle of mankind’s most exciting undertaking. Start out in the seat of a rover operator, finish as the first human to have ever set foot on Mars. With a scientific arsenal at your disposal, you will pioneer the exploration, and colonization, of the Red Planet.
The key features of Take On Mars are:
- Space Program Singleplayer Campaign (2 Chapters) – Command rovers, landers, or probes, over a distance of hundreds of millions of kilometers – and collect important scientific data about Mars. Or take on the role of astronaut Mark Willis in the first manned mission to Mars.
- Sandbox Survival Multiplayer – Play with friends and establish the foundations of a human colony on Mars. Work together to extract raw materials from Martian soil and build your own habitat panel by panel. Develop a power grid, pressurize living areas, utilize botany to grow crops, and operate various vehicles to keep you and your crew alive.
- Real Life Locations – Travel across a vast, unforgiving Martian terrain with locations based on actual satellite data from famous locations such as Victoria, Gale, and Cydonia Crater. Or explore one of the special additional locations such as Mars’ moon Deimos, Earth’s Moon (Apollo 17 Moon landing site), the International Space Station (with full interior), and more.
- Advanced Simulation – Experience motion in locations with different gravity strength, including Zero-G. Break off cameras, robotic arms, or even individual struts and wheels – all affecting the way your vehicle handles. Each object, system, and instrument in Take On Mars is accurately simulated to offer a truly authentic experience.
- Content Creation Tools & Modding Support – Create your own scenarios in the 3D Editor and share them on the Steam Workshop. Dive into Take On Mars’ powerful Workbench editing suite to develop new terrains, add-ons, and total modifications.
- And More – Familiarize yourself with Take On Mars’ gameplay via 5 training missions. Play a variety of individual scenarios set across different locations. Discover interesting facts about the Red Planet with the in-game Mars Encyclopedia.
Starting out as mod for Carrier Command: Gaea Mission, Take On Mars began life as a passion project by Project Lead Martin Melichárek, who was already working at Bohemia Interactive at the time. After deciding to make it into a full game, Take On Mars launched on Steam Early Access soon after in 2013. The initial focus of the game was on Mars rovers and landers. However, over the course of development, the scope of the project increased significantly to also include a manned mission part, and thus capturing the exploration of Mars in its entirety.
“For as long as I can remember I’ve been fascinated with space exploration, and particularly Mars. Being able to make this game has been like a dream come true. It took a bit longer than anticipated, and it’s been wild ride that’s tested the patience of both us and our Early Access subscribers, but, it was a ride worth taking. We, as a team, thank all of our loyal fans, those who have never doubted us, in helping us make this dream a reality!”, said Take On Mars Project Lead Martin Melichárek.