It’s almost the perfect game.
In retrospect I may have been a little too high on NHL 12. I don’t feel the same way about that game as I did 12 months ago when I reviewed it. There were still a couple of money goals which became apparent over time and broke any fun I had with the game because I couldn’t play my hardest without breaking the AI. While the skating was slightly improved, it paled in comparison to what we were promised this year. The new Be A Pro mode last year did deliver a much more authentic experience. However, everything else in the game pretty much remained stagnant.
Electronic Arts Inc. announced today that EA SPORTS NHL 13 is now available at retail stores throughout North America. NHL 13 is available on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. Headlined by all–new True Performance Skating and EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., NHL 13 offers an innovative new gameplay experience that definitively captures the speed, creativity and strategy of NHL hockey. NHL 13 also delivers brand new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and the real world of hockey with the all-new GM Connected and NHL Moments Live modes.
Early critical reception for NHL 13 has been extremely positive with Bleacher Report calling NHL 13 a “strong early candidate for sports game of the year”, while Jeff Bakalar, CNET says that NHL 13 is “the most realistic hockey game ever”. NHL 13 represents the biggest year-on-year leap for the franchise on this console generation and has been eagerly anticipated by sports fans across the world.
“The EA SPORTS NHL team has always been a leader in innovation within the sports videogame category but the quality of innovation found within NHL 13 is the crowning achievement for this franchise,” said Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “Our team has delivered a feature set that will truly change the way you play the game.”
Electronic Arts Inc. announced today that for the first time ever in a professional league simulation sports video game, EA SPORTS NHL 13 has added female athletes as playable characters. Former Team USA superstar Angela Ruggiero will join former Team Canada great Hayley Wickenheiser, both four-time Olympic Ice Hockey medalists, as playable legends in NHL 13. NHL Hall of Famers Doug Gilmour, Jari Kurri, and NHL legend Dominik Hasek will also be added to the roster of legends which includes the likes of Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. The NHL 13 demo is available for download now via Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. Promising the biggest year on year innovation to the franchise on this console generation, NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.
The addition of women’s hockey legends as playable characters within the EA SPORTS NHL franchise is the continuation of a commitment that the development team made to create greater representation for women’s hockey beginning withNHL 12.
“With the release of NHL 12 we added generic female characters in our Be a Pro mode based on a request from a 14-yr old female fan who emailed our staff because she felt underrepresented as a hockey videogame fan,” said Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “This year we are very excited to continue our effort of creating a more representative experience for female hockey fans by adding two of the greatest female athletes to ever play the game in Wickenheiser and Ruggiero to NHL 13.”
“The EA SPORTS NHL franchise took a big step last year by including female characters to create a more inclusive experience for female hockey fans,” said Hayley Wickenheiser. “I’m excited to be a part of NHL 13 and hope that the addition of women’s hockey legends will encourage greater participation in hockey from young women everywhere.”
Legends in NHL 13 will be integrated across several modes:
Electronic Arts Inc. and NHL.com announced today during the live broadcast of the 2012 NHL AwardsTM that Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux has been selected by fans as the EA SPORTS NHL®13 cover athlete. Giroux beat Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne in the final of the first ever EA SPORTS NHL® Cover Vote campaign by less than a one percent margin, in what was the closest matchup of the entire campaign. NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.
“The support fans have given me throughout the campaign has been unbelievable,” said Flyers forward Claude Giroux. “I am very excited to be on the cover of NHL 13 and I want to thank everyone who campaigned and voted for me – especially my teammates, the Flyers organization, and of course all the NHL fans who voted and tweeted.”
Between March 29 and June 4, fans cast nearly 26 million votes on NHL.com throughout the campaign, which was sponsored by BlackBerry®. During the finals alone, more than two million votes were cast.
“The level of passion that the fans, players, and NHL teams have displayed throughout the first ever EA SPORTS NHL Cover Vote campaign has been overwhelming,” said Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “The EA SPORTS NHL Franchise has had a rich tradition of outstanding cover athletes and quality games, and we feel privileged to introduce Claude Giroux as the face of NHL 13 as selected by the fans. With Giroux on the cover and our revolutionary new True Performance Skating engine, we feel great about delivering our most innovative title yet with NHL 13.”
“The EA SPORTS NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign presented by BlackBerry was a success in every measurable way,” said Dave McCarthy, NHL Vice President of Consumer Products Marketing. “From nearly 26 million votes cast, to fan and player engagement across social media platforms, to the validation of NHL.com’s standing as the number one destination for hockey fans, the NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign exceeded our expectations.”
“Congratulations to Claude on being chosen by the fans as the EA SPORTS NHL 13 cover athlete,” said Adam Larry, NHLPA Director of Licensing and Associate Counsel. “We cannot say enough about the amazing job done by all those involved with the EA SPORTS NHL Cover Vote campaign. The terrific support that all 60 participating NHL players received from not only fans and gamers, but also other NHL players, the teams, teammates, friends and Twitter followers, drove the success of the campaign in its first year.”
The NHL 13 Cover Vote campaign gave fans the opportunity to select the face of the EA SPORTS NHL® franchise as they were able to vote for their favorite candidate at http://www.nhl.com/covervote. The campaign was embraced by NHL fans, teams and players who utilized social media platforms to campaign. Outstanding examples of team and player engagement during the cover vote final include:
EA SPORTS NHL 13 promises the biggest change to the franchise since the introduction of the Skill Stick in NHL® 07. Headlined by all–new True Performance Skating, and supported by an innovative new A.I. system dubbed EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., NHL 13 will deliver a revamped gameplay experience that accurately captures the speed, creativity and strategy of NHL hockey.
‘Every Stride Matters’, the latest trailer for NHL 13 can be viewed here.
In addition, NHL 13 will also deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and the real world of hockey with the all-new GM Connected and NHL Moments Live modes.
Exclusive NHL 13 Stanley Cup Collector’s Edition announced. NHL 13 is available for pre-order now, clickhere for more details.
Electronic Arts Inc. announced today the key features for EA SPORTS NHL 13, promising the biggest change to the franchise since the introduction of the Skill Stick in NHL® 07. Headlined by all–new True Performance Skating, and supported by an innovative new A.I. system dubbed EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., NHL 13 will deliver a revamped gameplay experience that accurately captures the speed, creativity and strategy of NHL hockey. In addition, NHL 13 will also deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and the real world of hockey with the all-new GM Connected and NHL Moments Live modes. NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.
“The NHL team has been a leader when it comes to innovation in the sports videogame category on this console generation by redefining player control with the introduction of the Skill Stick, creating connected experiences such as the EA SPORTS Hockey League and introducing real world physics to the team sports category,” says Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “With our feature set in NHL 13, hockey fans and sports gamers have a lot to be excited about as we are again going to deliver major innovations that will change the way you play the game”
NHL 13 delivers an innovative new gameplay experience, accurately capturing the speed, creativity and strategy of today’s NHL through:
· True Performance Skating – A game-changing innovation for the franchise that adds physics-driven skating and over 1000 new animations. True Performance Skating authentically replicates the explosiveness, momentum and top end speed displayed by today’s NHL players. True Performance Skating combined with the Skill Stick, finally gives gamers access to the entire toolset of an NHL player, delivering unprecedented control and unlocking a level of creativity never before possible in a hockey videogame.
· EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q. – An innovative new A.I. system that governs the behaviors of players, goalies and team systems. In previous NHL games, players were only aware of skaters in their immediate proximity and goalies could only react to the player in control of the puck. With EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., all players are now fully aware of every other player on the ice, resulting in quicker, smarter and more true-to-life decision-making. EA SPORTS Hockey IQ also delivers the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise.
NHL 13 will deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and to NHL hockey with:
· GM Connected – The ultimate fantasy league with friends. GM Connected takes the franchise’s most popular offline mode, Be a GM, and allows you to play with and against your friends in your own 30-team NHL. Whether you are a hardcore sports gamer or a hockey fan that moonlights as an armchair general manager, the mode offers unrivaled accessibility and depth by allowing players to manage, play or coach on the road to building your team’s legacy. GM’s can also take their experience with them with a mobile companion app, ensuring that they never miss a single moment.*
· NHL Moments Live – Rewrite or relive history as you replay some of the most thrilling moments from today’s NHL. NHL 13 evolves the concept introduced by other sports games, introducing each scenario with real-world NHL footage to bring players closer to the intensity of the moment. Moments from the 2011-12 NHL season will ship on disc and new moments from the 2012-13 NHL season will be added as and when available throughout the season.
Fans of the franchise can expect several other improvements and innovations in NHL 13, such as:
· Team-First Presentation, which customizes your NHL 13 experience based on your favorite NHL team
· The addition of Customizable EA SPORTS Hockey IQ allowing players to create and record their own player and team strategies to a level never before seen in the franchise.
· Improvements to core offline and online modes, including Hockey Ultimate Team, Be a Pro, EA SPORTS Hockey League, a refined on-ice presentation, and more.
Celebrate over 20 years of EA SPORTS NHL hockey with the first ever collector’s edition on this console generation. With Stanley Cup-inspired digital offerings, the NHL 13 Stanley Cup Collector’s Edition includes:
· Exclusive collectible Stanley Cup® tin featuring an embossed Stanley Cup image
· Two Stanley Cup® Theme Hockey Ultimate Team packs featuring randomized player items from the Western and Eastern Conference Champions
· Gold Jumbo Hockey Ultimate Team Pack (Regular) featuring 24 randomized items, including an exclusive Wayne Gretzky Hockey Ultimate Team Legend and six other rare items
· A CCM Boost Pack featuring the all-new CCM RBZ stick (For use in Be a Pro and EA SPORTS™ Hockey League)
· A 10% discount on a one-time purchase at shop.NHL.com
· A complete copy of NHL 13