Frozen Synapse: Red Expansion Pack Launched Today
Mode7 is back with a new expansion “Red” for Frozen Synapse, the highly tactical and turn-based game I favorably reviewed. It’s named Red because it favors in red colors whereas the original game favored blues.
Here are the new features added in Frozen Synapse: Red…
– Full co-op (2 vs. AI) for all single player campaign content
– A new unit (riot shield)
– A new multiplayer game mode (“Upload”)
– Three mutators (gameplay modifiers for advanced users)
– 15-mission single player campaign
– 10 single player challenge missions
– 6 additional music tracks by nervous_testpilot (2 previously available in the Humble Indie Bundle)
– Original music tracks “Deeper” and “Focus” unlocked during gameplay
– “Impeccable Micro”, a free chiptune album from _ensnare_
– The infamous “Red Mode”: it makes things red….
– All online features, including co-op, can be shared between expansion owners and non-owners, meaning that there is no division in the community
Free Update for All Users:
– Hotseat Mode: Local multiplayer comes to Frozen Synapse! Play against another human (or semi-human) using one computer.
– Timed Turns: This forces a time-limit on turn submission, a bit like Speed Chess.
– Preset Multiplayer Maps: Non-randomised maps for competitive play.
– Wallpaper: Yes, there is actually free desktop wallpaper available to the world.
The free update is available simply by logging in to Frozen Synapse.
“Co-op has been requested for a long time and we are excited about it,” trumpeted Joint Managing Director Paul Taylor, unexpectedly. “Players can share plans, suggest possible enemy movements and ping the map to coordinate their strategies.”
“The next big addition is the riot shield: it’s a support unit which allows players to make better use of the terrain,” he continued, unabashed. “It facilitates some new types of play and also helps to break up stalemates. It also makes a cool ‘schick’ noise. Schick!”