Take heed, young adventurer, the living Castle Shadowgate is now re-opened! Zojoi, the team behind some of the most well-known classic adventure titles including the original Shadowgate (1987, Mac), along with indie games partner Reverb Triple XP announced today the launch of Shadowgate on Steam for both PC and Mac. One of the most renowned point-and-click adventure titles in video game history, Shadowgate is now re-imagined in fully modern form with beautifully illustrated rooms, new and updated puzzles, and an epic soundtrack. To celebrate the launch of this highly anticipated title, Shadowgate is now available on Steam for the limited time sale price of $18.00, a 10% discount from the SRP of $19.99.
“This is the ultimate version of Shadowgate that we’ve been envisioning for nearly 30 years! The game features tons of new puzzles to solve, a hugely expanded Castle Shadowgate, and gorgeous hand-painted graphics,” said Karl Roelofs, Design Director with Zojoi. “There are plenty of nods to the original version, like the NES-inspired orchestral tracks and pixelated transitions, so fans of the MacVenture and NES versions will instantly recognize this as the ultimate successor to the classic. This is a huge moment for the team!”
Roelofs, along with Zojoi’s co-founder Dave Marsh, comprised the original development team that created the original Shadowgate in the 80’s and 90’s and have now lovingly redesigned their first smash hit from the ground up.
In Shadowgate, intrepid gamers will step inside the dark halls of Castle Shadowgate as “The Seed of Prophecy,” the only one who could hope to defeat the traitorous Warlock Lord that dwells within. Designed with compelling cut-scenes that greatly expand the original Shadowgate universe, gamers navigate from room-to-room via the classic first-person perspective, using their wits to survive the dangerous traps, devious puzzles, and ruthless enemies within. If successful, they can assemble the Staff of Ages, a powerful relic capable of keeping this ancient enemy from destroying the living castle and the world of Tyragon itself.
Additional Shadowgate new features include:
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system and intuitive on-screen commands to complete your ques
- Rooms: Tons of beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new play experience.
- Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
- Difficulty Levels: Three different difficulty levels that actually change the gameplay experience and puzzle structure.
- Customized UI: Play the way you want! Use classic on-screen commands or jump into Immersive mode and auto-hide the UI elements. Create key binds, lock commands and keys and more.
- Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES chip tunes, move between rooms with pixelated transitions and follow the text in retro format.
- Storytelling: Features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
- Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with gameplay by composer Rich Douglas.
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
- Achievements: 50 in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock.
- Animations: Environmental and object-specific animations and particle effects bring each location to life
- Help: Need a hint? An in-game help system is just a click away.