From Press Release:
NEW YORK, NY (JULY 17, 2018) – Atari, one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers, today announced that Tempest 4000™, the long-awaited sequel to the classic arcade game Tempest®, is now available on PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC via Steam. Developed by Llamasoft and legendary game designer Jeff Minter, Tempest 4000 is a visually stunning, action-packed arcade shooter that remains faithful to the original, while adding exciting new features and gorgeous 4K graphics.
“It’s been more than three decades since the original Tempest released, but the wait is over — Tempest 4000 is finally here!” said Jeff Minter, Executive Producer of Tempest 4000 and founder of Llamasoft. “It’s been a joy to work on this all-new interpretation of the iconic arcade classic and I can’t wait for fans to get their hands-on Tempest 4000.”
“As one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics, the original Tempest will always have a place in history as one of the most significant and popular arcade games of all time,” said Todd Shallbetter, Chief Operating Officer of Atari. “While we added new features and enhanced graphics for today’s platforms, Tempest 4000 still remains true to the original with the same fast-paced, perfectly balanced gameplay and unique visual style.”
In Tempest 4000, players are once again in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive, aiming for the coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards.
Additional Key Features Include:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Classic, Pure and Survival that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
Tempest 4000 is rated E for Everyone and now available for purchase on PlayStation®4 system and Xbox One for $29.99 (USD) and on Steam for Windows PC for $19.99 (USD).