From Press Release:
October 19, 2023 (Lakewood, Col.) – Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed – Ecto Edition, a 4v1 haunt-or-hunt action-packed video game from the asymmetrical multiplayer experts at IllFonic, will be joining both the STEAM and Nintendo Switch family on October 19, 2023. Rated E10+, the game will be available in the STEAM Store here and the My Nintendo Store here for $19.99. A physical version of Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed – Ecto Edition will be released from our physical partner, Nighthawk Interactive, later this year. Fans of Ghostbusters, STEAM, and Nintendo will now have the chance to unite forces or rally against current PC/Epic Games Store, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One users as the game supports crossplay across all platforms.
“We are super excited to bring Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed to all gaming platforms.” IllFonic CEO & Co-Founder Charles Brungardt shares. “As a lifelong fan of Ghostbusters, IllFonic has been hard at work to bring busting and haunting to all fans with the Ecto Edition. We are expanding the story, adding new maps, ghost types, and more.”
Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed – Ecto Edition is truly the full game package for new players with the digital version for only $19.99, and current players will receive all of the following with a FREE update. The Ecto Edition will include:
- Main Narrative Story Expansion – several new story acts to the narrative progression of Spirits Unleashed. New twists and turns give the occupants of the Firehouse a new, challenging adversary to contend with, along with new conversations to have. Level up to unlock and enjoy the updated and extended narrative.
- New Ghost –
- Overlord Ghost Type – The Overlord. An unrelenting spectral force. Unlike other specters who prefer to hide, the Overlord SEEKS. Born of pain, fear, and darkness, the Overlord is as mighty as they are clever. They’re imbued with never-before-documented passive abilities that make them even more difficult to tether. The Overlord’s aura emits a looming dread, compounding a creeping sense of fear within anyone in range. Alas, don’t expect Overlords to “slime” or “shock” those in their way; rather, they devastate them by swinging their deadly claws and hurling any physical objects they can sink their P.K.E. into. Wrangling with an Overlord is quite a horrifying challenge, any way you set it.
- Overlord – Samhain Variant – Behold the Ghost of Halloween! Samhain is pure malevolence, driven by the unholy desire to create a sprawling legion of darkness under his evil command. The earliest accounts of Samhain date back to the seventh century. The Celts held massive feasts in his name, though whether to entice or deter him is somewhat unclear. Regardless, his immense power and command over other creatures, living and… nonliving, is irrefutable. On the very rare occasion that Samhain has been defeated and imprisoned, he has broken free from his shackles and risen again. Stronger… and angrier.
- Overlord – Darklock Variant – Anguish is a feeling many are aware of, but few have truly experienced. Well, be assured, it is the goal of the Darklock to guarantee EVERYONE becomes intimately familiar. As long as suffering has existed, so too has this twisted type of Overlord. Facing off against the Darklock is harrowing, indeed, not only because of the pain it can inflict but also because of the twisted sense of euphoria it emanates while feeding off the foolish few who try to stand in its way.
- Overlord – Gravebringer Variant – Human fear of death manifested, the Gravebringer drinks dread the way the modern-day skin bags imbibe pumpkin-spiced lattes; guzzled by the gallon! The Gravebringer seeks to unlock true darkness within the heart of the hopeless. Brave men and women have been left nothing more than quivering husks after only a few moments in the Gravebringer’s presence. Isolating the weakest link in the chain and dismantling one’s resolve is a favorite pastime of this corporeal monstrosity. No other creature in any realm sends a chill up a spine like the Gravebringer.
- 2 New Maps –
- Petey’s Pirate Cove – ‘For libations and fun, don’t walk, but run to Petey’s Pirate Cove!’ Scallywags and buccaneers alike will find games galore, grog by the gallon, and more ghostly apparitions than a sunken shipwreck. Shiver me timbers, indeed!
- Galway Station – Subway patrons report sightings of ghostly old-timey train cars and encounters with tormented apparitions in the underground, particularly around Galway Station.
- Ghost Bounties
- Character and Gear Loadouts
- New Gear Shells to Unlock
- New Cosmetics and Added Tenure Level
- Countless UX, UI, Gameplay Improvements, and MORE!
Technical details on the Nintendo Switch:
The team has been hard at work adapting the game for Switch. Performing at a dynamic resolution from a range of 720 (handheld mode) to 1080p at the maximum, 30fps (industry standard for Switch). IllFonic is constantly tuning the game to push its limits.
More About the Game:
In Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed, Ray Stantz and Winston Zeddemore open the Firehouse to you and the next generation of Ghostbusters. This asymmetrical game of hide and seek is a 4v1 setup where players will either play as part of a team of new Ghostbusters or a Ghost. This title not only allows players to enjoy the game solo or with up to four friends but also features an online and offline single-player mode, in the form of bot assisted play. Most importantly, the more you play, the more the story will unfold (with cutscenes). Those already playing will be excited to hear that this story will be expanded in the Ecto Edition coming later this year. Whether haunting or hunting, the game is easy to learn and fun to master!
Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed has all the iconic gear and gadgets, from Proton Packs to P.K.E. Meters and Ghost Traps that fans would expect and new gamers to the universe will enjoy when playing as a Ghostbuster. In addition, many will recognize the Firehouse and Ray’s Occult Books that act as the game’s hub. This is where players will choose missions, customize their characters, practice firing their particle throwers, and explore all there is to learn. And yes, you will hear the original film actors reprising their roles as Ray Stantz and Winston Zeddemore, along with some new friends!
- As the Ghost – Ghosts have multiple abilities in their arsenal, like possessing objects, of course, sliming, and more, that make haunting all the various locations a blast to play. Choose from up to five Ghosts with unique skills, ultimate abilities, and commendable minions fueled by ectoplasm. Fly around public locations and possess an inordinate amount of inanimate objects to evade pursuing Ghostbusters. Frighten citizens until they flee in fear, prank unsuspecting Ghostbusters, and hide your rifts to spawn safely in case you get trapped.
- As a Ghostbuster – Be one of the four proton pack-wielding Ghostbusters and attempt to catch a Ghost haunting unique locations with your trusty ghost trap and tools. Use the P.K.E. Meter to sniff out rifts that act as the Ghost’s spawn points and destroy them with your Proton Pack’s particle thrower before the Ghost completes their haunt. As players progress, they will unlock cosmetics and upgrades for both Ghostbusters and Ghosts to evolve their gameplay experiences. The look and feel will deliver to fans an immersive experience in the universe, allowing them to play out their Ghostbusting fantasies.
- Locations – Explore multiple unique locations, including a museum, winter lodge, docked ship, multi-leveled prison, an active brewery, and more. Complete challenges, customize your Ghostbuster and Ghosts and locate hidden spores, mold, and fungus to gain access to more unlockables.
- Game Tip – As you play more, a story arc unveils itself. Follow the requests of Ray Stantz and Winston Zeddemore to uncover cutscenes that build an exciting tale! Yes, it’s multiplayer with more…